Academy Member Inducted 2022Map & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 2005
- Total Mediations (as of Jun 2022): 1000
Valerie Kiffin Lewis, Esquire, has a wealth of experience in employing ADR principles to negotiate and resolve civil disputes. While her over 25 years experience as an Employment Lawyer has fueled her success as an Employment Mediator, Ms. Kiffin Lewis is well-qualified to assist parties in the resolution of disputes in other practice areas as well. Specifically, in addition to employment-related disputes, Ms. Kiffin Lewis mediates personal injury claims, contract disputes, family disputes, real estate disputes, professional malpractice disputes, landlord/tenant disputes, and business disputes, to name a few. She is certified by the Florida Supreme Court as a Circuit Civil, Family, Dependency, and County Court Mediator (each area requiring its own certification). She was also appointed as Mediator for the U.S. Federal Courts, Southern District. Throughout her many years as a practicing attorney and mediator, she has mediated over a thousand cases. Her varied experience can be attributed to the many years spent as a private mediator, contract mediator for the 17th Judicial Circuit Court in and for Broward County, and as a contract mediator for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC"). As a contract mediator for the EEOC, Ms. Kiffin Lewis has spent over two decades assisting parties in reaching amicable settlements in a variety of EEOC claims ranging from sexual harassment, retaliation, FMLA violations, disability, race, sex, national origin, and religion discrimination. Additionally, Ms. Kiffin Lewis is a Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator. She currently serves as panel member for the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") as both an Employment Mediator and Arbitrator.
Ms. Kiffin Lewis is a staunch proponent of the ADR process, and wholeheartedly believes in the ability, and most importantly, the power of individuals and/or parties to ultimately resolve and put closure to their own disputes without the need for court intervention. She employs the skills necessary to assist parties in the resolution of disputes to avoid the cost and expense often associated with protracted litigation. As a neutral, she considers her role vital in assisting parties in reaching settlement. She credits her high resolution rate on her focused, immovable, and relentless approach towards achieving that goal.
Among her many other activities, Ms. Kiffin Lewis has presented for the American Bar Association on Employment Mediation. For over two (2) decades served on the Mediator's Qualification Board for the Florida Dispute Resolution Center. She currently serves as Chair of the Florida Bar Grievance Committee, and is a proud member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. She was also selected as the National Black Lawyers "Top 40" Attorneys in the area of Workers Compensation and Employment Lawyers, and serves on the Board of Directors for Deliver the Dream, a not for profit organization that assists children and families in need.
- ADA Disability
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Libel & Slander
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Sexual Harassment
- Shareholder Disputes
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Workers' Compensation
- A Graduate of The Ohio State University, Columbus,Ohio.
- Received her Juris Doctorate degree from Nova Southeastern University Law School, Shepard Broad Center for the Study of Law (1990)
- During Law School, she served as Board Member of the Moot Court Society, and as a Legal Research Assistant;
- Legal Intern for the Honorable Alcee Hastings,U.S. Federal District Court, Southern District of Florida;
- Judicial Staff Attorney for the 17th Judicial Circuit, Broward County, Florida.
AAA Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New AAA Arbitrators (2021); AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards(2021);AAA Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Mediation Program (2011); Florida Dispute Resolution Center, 19th Annual Conference for Mediators and Arbitrators (2011); 16th Annual Akerman Labor & Employment Law Seminar (2011); The Resolution Group ("TRG") Mediator Training (2010); University of South Florida, Certificate for training in Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Mediation (2010); Florida Dispute Resolution Center, 18th Annual Conference for Mediators and Arbitrators (2010); Customer Service & Prevention of Sexual Harassment Training (2009); Appellate Mediationj Training Seminar (2009); Florida Dispute Resolution Center, 15th Annual Conference for Mediators and Arbitrators (2006); Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, Certified Labor Arbitration Training (2006); Certified Trainer of Managing Workplace Conflict (2005); Mediation Training Institute International; Family Mediation Training and Circuit Civil Mediation, Miami School of Law & Mediation Services, Inc.(2005);Family Mediation Training Program, University of Miami School of Law & Mediation Services (2004); Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal Mediation Training (2006); Florida Dispute Resolution Center, 12th Annual Conference for Mediators and Arbitrators (2003); Department of Vocational Rehabilitation Training (2003); Florida Medical Resolution Training (2000); EEOC Orientation Training (1999); American Bar Association, Mediating Employment Disputes (1999); National Business Institute, Settlement Strategies (1998); Broward County Bar Association, Mediation/Dispute Resolution (1997); Florida Dispute Resolution Center, 5th Annual Conference for Mediators and Arbitrators (1996); Florida Dispute Resolution Center, Certified Arbitration Training.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Mediator's Qualification Board, Florida Dispute Resolution Center, Board Member (1996-2020)
- The Florida Bar, Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Sectlon
- The Florida Bar, Member of the Labor & Employment Section
- The Florida Bar, Member of the Grievance Committee
- The Florida Bar, selected as Mediator for the ACAP Program
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, Panel Member
Professional Licenses/ Certifications:
- Admitted to the Florida Bar (1992)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator (2004)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Court Mediator (2004)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Dependency Mediator(2000)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified County Court Mediator (1993)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida Mediator (2020)
- FMCS Labor Arbitrator Certification (2006)
- U.S.P.S. Certification in Labor Arbitration (1991)
- Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator (1999)
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Mediator (1999)
- EEO Investigator Certification (2018)
Ms.Kiffin Lewis is a Board Member of the non-profit organization, "Deliver the Dream" which focuses on providing for the needs of children and families. Her hobbies include World Traveling, Sewing, Calligraphy, Poetry Writing, and Interior Decorating.
Please call for details.