Academy MemberMap & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 1992
- Total Mediations (as of Apr 2021): 1200
Currently, my practice is devoted to mediation. I have been mediating family and community disputes since 1988 when I completed specialized domestic mediation training. Since my training as a superior court mediator in 1992, my mediation practice has involved over one thousand disputes including complex, multi-party cases. This experience includes a broad range of subject matter areas including business, commercial, contracts, employment, products liability, insurance/personal injury, real estate, land condemnation, equitable distribution, construction, professional liability matters, environmental and others. I presently serve as a mediator for the Superior Court Mediated Settlement Conference Program in North Carolina, the Office of Administrative Hearings in North Carolina, and the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western districts in North Carolina.
I have trained more than 500 lawyers and other professionals in North Carolina and South Carolina in my capacity as a Primary Trainer for Dispute Management, Inc. and the Duke Private Adjudication Center, having lectured in twenty forty-hour sessions since January 1993. I have conducted seminars introducing mediation to litigators for the Superior Court Programs in Durham and Raleigh, North Carolina. In addition, I have done mediation workshops for the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers. I participated on a panel for the Dispute Resolution Section of the North Carolina Bar Association on Ethics in Mediation. I organized a seminar for advanced participation in mediation for the Academy of Trial Lawyers. I was a panel member for the 1994 Annual American Bar Association Convention for "Dispute Resolution in Complex Litigation." I participated in a panel discussion on Mediation Practice in North Carolina for the North Carolina Defense Attorneys 1994 Annual Fall Seminar. In addition, I am a principal organizer for a seminar for invited attorneys on mediation and medical malpractice in North Carolina. I presented an ethics workshop on the Standards for Mediators for the Dispute Resolution Section of the ABA. I have recently served as the course coordinator, lecturer and moderator for a NC Bar Association ethics seminar introducing North Carolina's Standards of Professional Conduct for Mediators.
I served as member of the Board of Directors for the Durham Dispute Settlement Center from 1988 until 1993. I chaired the Committee on Ethics and Professionalism for the Dispute Resolution Section Council of the North Carolina Bar Association. The committee has developed ethical standards for mediators in North Carolina that have now been adopted by the Dispute Resolution Commission. In October 1995, Chief Justice Burley Mitchell appointed me as one of the two certified mediators serving on North Carolina's first Dispute Resolution Commission. I chaired the Ethics and Professionalism Committee of the Dispute Resolution Commission. I remain on the commission ex-officio as the liaison to the North Carolina Supreme Court's ADR Committee. From 1986-1989, I served as chair of the Mediation Committee for the Family Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association. In addition, I served as the only attorney member of the Child Custody Mediation Advisory Committee for the Administrative Office of the Courts for the State of North Carolina from 1989-1993.
- Banking & Finance
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Eminent Domain
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Entertainment Sector
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Land Use/Planning
- Legal Malpractice
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Media & Communications
- Medical Malpractice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-profit Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Shareholder Disputes
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Wrongful Death
- J.D., 1973 - University of North Carolina School of Law
- B.A., 1970 - College of William and Mary
Memberships & Affiliations
- Family Mediation Training, Asheville, North Carolina, April 1988.
- Dispute Management Incorporated, Mediator Training. A forty hour course required by the Supreme Court of North Carolina Rules Implementing Court Ordered Mediated Settlement Conferences, for mediation of matters in North Carolina. Raleigh, North Carolina, April 1992.
- Advanced Civil Superior Court Mediation Training, August 1993. Harvard Law School, Negotiation Project, June 1996.
- Member, Dispute Resolution Commission of North Carolina.
- Chair, Ethics and Professionalism Committee of the Dispute Resolution Commission.
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association, since 1975.
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section, Council.
- Chair, North Carolina Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section Committee on Ethics and Professionalism.
- Chair, North Carolina Bar Association Family Law Section, Mediation Committee, 1986-1989.
- Member, Child Custody Mediation Advisory Committee for the Administrative Office of the Courts, 1989-1993.
- Member, Fourteenth Judicial District Bar Association, since 1973
- Treasurer, 1984-1985
- Vice-President, 1985-1986
- President, 1986-1987
- Member, Grievance Committee, 1990-1991.
- Member, North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, since 1979.
- Member, American Bar Association.
- Mediator, Durham Dispute Settlement Center, since 1988.
- Member, Board of Directors, Durham Dispute Settlement Center, 1989-1993.
- Delegate, Mediation Delegation of People to People/Citizen Ambassador Program to China, October 1993.