Academy Member Inducted 2013Map & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: Connecticut, Delaware, New York, PennsylvaniaOther ADR Services: ADR Training/CME, Discovery Referee, Early Neutral Evaluation, Facilitation & Systems Design, Fact Finding, Med-Arb, Special Master
- Practice Commenced: 1982
- Total Mediations (as of Feb 2023): 950
- Total Arbitrations (as of Feb 2023): 850
Richard H. Steen is the managing member of Richard H. Steen, LLC, Attorneys at Law, an AV rated law firm in Mercer County, New Jersey. He is a past president of the New Jersey State Bar Association. Mr. Steen concentrates his practice in the areas of construction, complex commercial, environmental and professional responsibility matters and alternative dispute resolution. He is an experienced mediator, arbitrator, trainer and facilitator, and has served as a neutral in more than 1500 cases in the Federal and State Courts, for the American Arbitration Association and in private proceedings.
Mr. Steen regularly mediates high value, multi-party disputes involving public and private sector parties. Issues in these disputes have included construction claims, contract interpretation and performance, regulatory and enforcement actions, professional malpractice, agency representation agreements, vendor and equipment supply, insurance, and warranty coverage. His experience as an arbitrator includes multi-million dollar, multi-party construction and environmental disputes and commercial, residential and public construction matters. Mr. Steen has served as chairperson of a panel or sole arbitrator in substantial arbitration proceedings involving performance issues, design and construction defects, schedule delay and acceleration, cost overruns, financing disputes, differing site conditions, and constructive changes.
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Eminent Domain
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Family Businesses
- Legal Malpractice
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Natural Disasters
- Non-profit Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Drexel University (BS-1972);
- Seton Hall Law School (JD-1975). Co-Editor in Chief, Seton Hall Legislative Journal
Memberships & Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association – (President 2010-2011; Dispute Resolution Section, Founding Chair; Construction Law Section, Past Chair);
- Member: New Jersey Supreme Court Standing Committee on Complementary Dispute Resolution (Former Chair, Administration Subcommittee);Past member: Arbitration Advisory Committee; Advisory Committee on Mediation Standards; Civil Mediation Mentoring Committee and Committee on Access and Fairness.
- Master and Past President of the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Accredited Professional Mediator (APM) and member of the Board of the New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators.
- American Bar Association (House of Delegates 2009-2012, Fellow, American Bar Foundation; Fellow, National Conference of Bar Presidents; Forum on Construction, Division 1 Steering Committee; Litigation Section, ADR Committee, Construction Subcommittee Chair, Task Force on Ethical Standards in Mediation);
- New Jersey Corporate Counsel Association (Past Director; ADR Committee, Past Chair);
- Mercer County Bar Association;
- New Jersey Institute of Municipal Attorneys.
Awards and Honors:
- New Jersey State Bar Association – Professional Lawyer of the Year, 2012; ADR Practitioner of the Year Award, now the James B. Boskey Award, 1998-99; Distinguished Legislative Services Award, 2002; and, Legends of ADR Award, 2007.
- New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education – Distinguished Service Award, 2006.
- Recipient of the Garibaldi Inn's Richard K. Jeydel Excellence in ADR Award, 2017
Please call for details.