Academy Member Inducted 2023
Regularly travels out of state to: Maine, New Hampshire, New YorkOther ADR Services: Discovery Referee, Early Neutral Evaluation
- Practice Commenced: 1994
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2023): 500
Rich Cassidy is a Vermont mediator and arbitrator.
A founder of Rich Cassidy Law, before transitioning to full time practice as a neutral, he had more than 40 years of experience as a litigator and trial lawyer in Vermont. Over the years, his practice changed substantially. As a result, Rich has experience representing all sides in many kinds of disputes: plaintiffs and defendants, employers and employees, injured parties, and insurance companies. He believes that the breadth of his experience benefits his work as a neutral.
He has advocated for individuals, businesses, and governments in a broad range of civil litigation, including in construction cases, cases under the Uniform Commercial Code, and contract and business tort claims. He has significant experience with litigation and alternative dispute resolution involving higher education, public education, public safety, health care, municipalities, and manufacturing. His clients have included college students, faculty, and administrators as well as individuals, businesses, governmental agencies, and not-for-profit entities. He represented both labor unions, management, and individuals in collective bargaining relationships.
For the last decade of his work as a trial lawyer, Rich’s practice focussed on personal injury and labor and employment law.
Since 1994, he has been a member of the Panel of Early Neutral Evaluators for the United States District Court for the District of Vermont. He is alsoon the early neutral evaluation panels for the Vermont Environmental Court and Vermont Superior Courts.
Rich believes that legal process can serve the ends of justice and has been active in work to improve the law throughout his career. For details see his curriculam vitae.
When he’s not working or in a committee meeting, Rich enjoys reading, walking his dog, Sophie, skiing, swimming, and rowing his Adirondack Guide Boat on Lake Champlain.
- ADA Disability
- Civil Rights
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Health Care
- Land Use/Planning
- Legal Malpractice
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Medical Malpractice
- Non-profit Organizations
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Public Policy
- Railroad & Trucking
- Real Estate
- Sexual Harassment
- Trusts / Estates
- Unfair Competition
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. – 1978
- University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont
- B.A. – 1975
- Mount Saint Joseph Academy, Rutland, Vermont
- College Preparatory Diploma – 1967 -1971
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Member, 1978 to present
- Board of Governors, 2005 – 2008
- House of Delegates, 1999 – 2015
- Member and Chair, Standing Committee on Delivery of Legal Services, 2005-2011, Board Liaison, Member and Chair
- Board Liaison, Section of Labor and Employment, 2005-2008
- American Counsel Association
- President, 2009 – 2010
- American Law Institute, Elected Member, 2015 – Present
- National Employment Lawyer’s Association, Member 1988- present
- Vermont Association for Justice, Member
- Vermont Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Vermont Employment Lawyers Association
- Founding Member
- Past President
- Vermont Bar Association, Member, 1978- Present
Please call for details.