Academy MemberMap & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: District of Columbia, New YorkOther ADR Services: Mini-Trial Judge
Primarily engaged as independent arbitrator and adjunct law professor. Previously engaged as a partner at Edwards Wildman (now Locke Lord) in litigation/arbitration practice as a trial attorney and
arbitrator for over 30 years, with approximately equal experience in
international and domestic arbitration and litigation involving complex
business disputes (70%). The practice focus was on complex contractual,
corporate, investment, intellectual property (e.g., patent license and trade
secrets), and other business disputes, typically involving diverse industries,
such as telecommunications, life sciences, computer software, aerospace/military, logistics, energy supply,
entertainment (e.g., music), apparel/fashion, and manufacturing
(e.g. plastics, jewelry, food), as well as many other areas of business
activity (e.g., supply/ distribution/partnership/franchise). Domestic and
foreign clients have ranged from large New York Stock Exchange listed companies
to small venture backed start-ups and individuals. Additional experience as
counselor and in transactions during the past 15 years (30%). Counseling
experience has typically involved manufacturers, as well as cross-border joint
ventures and private equity/venture capital/collective investment, often times
for foreign clients, in various industries and locales in the
Alternative Dispute Resolution Experience Member of or listed by the AAA Commercial, Large Complex Case, and International Panels; CPR; BCIAC; CIETAC; SCIA; SHIAC; Dubai; HKIAC; ICC; KCAB; Kuala Lumpur; LCIA; Milan; Stockholm and WIPO; and experience in ad hoc arbitrations. Selected as a neutral arbitrator, frequently as panel chair, in an array of over 120 large and complex cases, split between domestic and international. Presided over dozens of trials in recent years with billions of dollars in total either claimed as damages or at issue through declaratory judgment actions. Presided as chair on over three dozen cases and as wing arbitrator in 40 plus cases, including as party nominated arbitrator., along with extensive experience as sole arbitrator.
NOTABLE ARBITRATOR EXPERIENCE as sole arbitrator, wing or chair in over 120 cases, includes presiding over disputes involving: six to ten figure contractual claims, including allegations of fraud, misappropriation and other standard types of business tort claims, in diverse industries ranging from aerospace, telecommunications, energy to private equity investment, including hedge fund, venture capital, partnership (e.g., real estate) and shareholder disputes as well as privitization; to product development, marketing, logistics and shipping ; manufacturing, distribution and supply, as well as global branding of foreign and domestic products, including apparel/fashion/accessories, food, weapons/explosives, software and chips; consumer goods, etc; consulting/services contracts; franchise (e.g.. food; private education); entertainment (e.g., sports and movies); and restrictive covenants (including in acquisition contexts) . Presided on over 50 cases through trial.
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Banking & Finance
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Entertainment Sector
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Venture Capital
- Adjunct Professor of International Arbitration -- Boston College Law School (1989 to date)
- Adjunct Professor of International Arbitration -- Boston University Law School (ELLM Program) (2011 to date)
- Nomura Lecturer in law on International Arbitration -- Harvard Law School (2005)
- Adjunct Professor of International Law of Busness Transactions -- Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy (2007)
- Adjunct Professor of National Security Law at Boston University Law School 2001-2009 and at Boston College Law School in 1988.
- Adjunct Professor of American Foreign Policy and International Banking -- Boston University Law School (LLM Program) (1991).
- C0-Lecturer in Field Studies on Entrepreneurial Management -- - Harvard Business School 1984.
- Adjunct Research Fellow Center for Science and International Affairs Kennedy Schoolk of Government Harvard University (1983-87)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators ("CCA");
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (selection limited to the top 1/3 of the top 1% of the American Bar Association Membership)
- Chartered Arbitrator and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, England and listed as an arbitrator by the London Court of International Arbitration
- Member of the American Arbitration Association's international, commercial, complex case, energy and intellectual property panels
- Current or former member of the Panel of Arbitrators of CIETAC, the CPR's Panels of Distinguished Neutrals, the Euro-Arab Chamber of Commerce, the Milan Chamber of Commerce, the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, the Dubai International Arbitration Centre, the Hong Kong Center for International Arbitration and listed by the World Intellectual Property Organization, the Cairo Regional Center, Inter American Commercial Arbitration Commission; Japanese Commercial Arbitration Association; and Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration.
- Former Member of the United States Panel of Arbitrators for dispute resolution under the North American Free Trade Agreement
- Former Member of the International Advisory Committee of the World Arbitration Institute, New York, New York
- Member of the American Branch of the International Law Association [American representative to the International Arbitration Committee and past chairman of the American Branch's Arbitration Committee (1985 - 1989)].
Please call for details.