Academy MemberMap & Directions
Lawrence "Larry" Watson is a founding partner of the Upchurch Watson White & Max Mediation Group. He first came to the ADR profession in 1985 from an extensive practice in litigation and quickly developed national recognition as a pioneer civil trial mediator. He served fourteen terms as Chairman of the Florida Supreme Court Standing Committee on Mediation and Arbitration Rules and Procedures, and was awarded The Florida Dispute Resolution Center's Outstanding Achievement Award for his work on that committee. He was instrumental in developing one of the nation's first comprehensive set of ethical standards for mediators, which was adopted by the Florida Supreme Court in February 2000 and which earned him the Florida Academy of Professional Mediators Award of Merit for that same year. He has also been honored for outstanding service to the profession by the American College of Civil Trial Mediators. In September 2005, he was presented the ACCTM Lifetime Achievement Award.
Mr. Watson has mediated cases in Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the United Kingdom, as well as Florida. He is a frequent lecturer and writer on mediation, litigation, dispute resolution procedures and ADR process design.
- Banking & Finance
- Civil Rights
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Eminent Domain
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Entertainment Sector
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Land Use/Planning
- Libel & Slander
- Media & Communications
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Negligence
- Real Estate
- Trusts / Estates
- Wrongful Death
- J.D. University of Florida, Levin College of Law
- Advanced Negotiations Program, Harvard University Law School
- Certified Florida Circuit Court Mediator (All Circuits)
- Certified U.S. District Court Mediator, Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
Memberships & Affiliations
- Past President, Founder and Fellow, American College of Civil Trial Mediators
- Past Chair, FL Supreme Court Standing Committee on Mediation and Arbitration Rules & Procedures
- Past Chair, ABA Section of Litigation, Construction Litigation Committee
- Past Chair, ABA Section of Litigation, ADR Committee
- Former Division Director, ABA Section of Litigation
- Past President, The Florida Bar Trial Lawyers' Section
- Author: "Effective Advocacy in Mediation, A Planning Guide for a Civil Trial Mediation", "The Case for Mediated Case Management"
- Author, "The Case for Mediated Case Management", Vol I American Journal of Mediation, 1 (2007)
- Presentations: ABA Section of Litigation, Section of Dispute Resolution, Forum on the Construction Industry; Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK), CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, The Florida Bar, South Carolina Bar, Florida Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Please call office for details.