Academy MemberMap & Directions
JOHN J. SPECIA, JR. – Will be returning to the law firm of Plunkett, Griesenbeck & Mimari, Inc. (formerly Plunkett & Griesenbeck, Inc.) to continue his practice of Mediation, Arbitration and Private Judging as of July 1, 2016.
Appointed by Governor Rick Perry in 2012 as Commissioner of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, Specia spearheaded an overhaul of Child Protective services, developed system enhancements and efficiencies and significant growth of the child abuse and neglect prevention and early intervention program. Under his leadership, Texas became a national leader in child welfare transformation efforts and research in to child abuse and neglect fatalities.
Judge 225th District Court (Ret.), San Antonio Bexar County, Texas. Judge John Specia retired on December 31, 2006, having served since May of 1988. He served as a Senior District Judge and is a partner in the law firm of Plunkett, Griesenbeck & Mimari, Inc. His practice is limited to Mediation, Arbitration and Private Judging. John Specia’s life-long dedication to public services includes work in all areas of civil and family, juvenile programs, with a special commitment to children and the prevention of child abuse.
Judge Specia has been assigned to a Multi-District Litigation Pre-Trial Judge of the Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Humberto Litigation.
As Judge of the 225th District Court, he presided over all types of cases (i.e., contract disputes, construction disputes, medical and legal malpractice, personal injury, business litigation) and family law cases (i.e., divorces, custody, visitation, adoptions).
Judge Specia has extensive experience in all aspects of civil trial practice. Due to the unique Bexar County rotating docket system, on a daily basis he has presided over all types of pre-trial matter, summary judgments hearings, non-jury trials and jury trials. These include medical malpractice cases, personal injury cases, and complex business litigation.
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Divorce (High Asset)
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Native American
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- St. Mary's University of Law, Juris Doctor, San Antonio, Texas - 1975
- University of Texas at Austin, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Austin, Texas - 1972
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chair - Texas Supreme Court Task Force on Foster Care
- Chair - Texas Supreme Court Task Force on Child-Protection Case Management and Reporting
- Board Member - National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges (2000-2006)
- Board of Directors - Central Catholic Marianist High School
- Past Member, Board of Directors - Communities in Schools
- Past Member - Children's Advocates of San Antonio (CASA), Advisory Board
- Past Member - Sexual Assault Resource Center, Advisory Board
- Past President - Catholic Family and Children's Services, San Antonio Archdiocese
Please call our office for details - (210) 734-7092