Academy MemberMap & Directions
Recognized to Texas Chapter for Mediation Other ADR Services: Discovery Referee, Fact Finding, Med-Arb
- Practice Commenced: 2013
John DeGroote serves as a mediator and arbitrator in complex business, technology, and intellectual property matters involving parties and interests around the country and beyond -- often before litigation is filed. Separate from his practice as a neutral, John also serves as an independent director, court appointed trustee, and court approved settlement administrator.
Prior to establishing his current practice John spent over 10 years at KPMG Consulting, later known as BearingPoint, Inc., a $3 billion technology consulting firm with over 17,000 employees around the world, where he served as Chief Litigation Counsel and, later, as the company's Executive Vice President and General Counsel. John was subsequently appointed to serve as the Liquidating Trustee to the BearingPoint, Inc. Liquidating Trust by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, where he has managed the wind-down of the company's operations, subsidiaries, and assets on a global basis.
Prior to his tenure at KPMG Consulting/BearingPoint, John practiced at McKool Smith, P.C., Jackson & Walker, L.L.P., and First USA, Inc., a nationwide financial services concern. He received his mediation training at the Pepperdine University School of Law's Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution in 2005, and is a graduate of Duke Law School and Mississippi State University.
Outside his professional life, John serves as an Assistant Scoutmaster to Boy Scout Troop 70 and as a Cubmaster to Cub Scout Pack 55, both in Dallas. As a youth he earned the Eagle Scout award and served as a Majority Floor Page in the United States Senate throughout his senior year of high school.
John lives in Dallas with his wife and three boys.
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Media & Communications
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-profit Organizations
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Venture Capital
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- Mississippi State University, B.A., 1986
Primary mediation training from the Pepperdine University School of Law's Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution in 2005.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Past Chair, State Bar of Texas ADR Section
- Past Chair, Dallas Bar Association ADR Section
- Past Chair, National Litigation Committee, Association of Corporate Counsel
- Past Chair, General Counsel Forum, Dallas/Fort Worth Chapter
- Past Chair, Duke Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Past Chair, Duke Law School Future Forum
- Trustee, St. John’s Episcopal School Board of Trustees
- Past Director, Dwell with Dignity Foundation
- Member, Association of Attorney-Mediators
- Inaugural Member, ADR Champions List, The National Law Journal
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine
- Texas Super Lawyer, ADR
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
John's fee schedule is available at http://degrootepartners.com/fees/.