Academy MemberMap & Directions
Joan B. Kessler, Esq., Ph.D. joined JAMS in 2017 with more than 10 years’ experience as an ADR professional and a Ph.D. in communications. Dr. Kessler has mediated and arbitrated hundreds of diverse matters, including individual and class action employment; real property; business/commercial, including partnership and shareholder disputes; estate/probate/trust; insurance; and entertainment cases. With a law career spanning more than 30 years, she has the legal experience and knowledge to quickly understand complex legal issues. Dr. Kessler’s 10-plus years of experience as a jury researcher and consultant affords her the ability to provide key insights into jury dynamics.
Dr. Kessler is a uniquely qualified mediator and arbitrator whose training and education allow her to communicate effectively with attorneys and all parties involved in her matters. Her background in communications helps her to develop a rapport with even the most challenging, combative and high-profile personalities. She possesses a keen ability to bring parties together to reach resolution on even the most contentious of matters. Dr. Kessler uses her ability to speak Spanish and her understanding of inter-cultural uniqueness in Korean, Persian, Israeli, Armenian, and other cultures to help resolve disputes through mediation.
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Class Actions
- Community Associations
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Debt Collections
- Eminent Domain
- Entertainment Sector
- Family Businesses
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Libel & Slander
- Media & Communications
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Sexual Harassment
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Unfair Competition
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, CA - J.D. 1986; Chief Articles Editor, Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Journal
- University of Michigan, Ph.D. Speech Communication, 1973
- University of California, Los Angeles, M.A. Speech Communication, 1969
- University of Michigan, A.B. English, 1967
Memberships & Affiliations
- Admitted to the State Bar of California (1987). AV rating, Martindale-Hubbell.
- Admitted to the U.S. Tax Court.
- Admitted to the U.S. District Court, Central District of California.
- Member, American, Los Angeles County and Beverly Hills Bar Associations.
- Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles.
- Member, Organization of Women Executives, 1996-Present.
- Member, Southern California Mediation Association, 2006-Present.
- Southern California Super Lawyer.
- Daily Journal's 2006 Top Women Litigators.
- Los Angeles Superior Court Awardee in Mediation - 2008.
- Associate Editor, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA) "Advocate" Magazine 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
Please call JAMS Office for details