- Practice Commenced: 2016
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2022): 80
Jill Hamill Sopha is Owner and Managing Director of Sopha Mediation LLC. As a full-time attorney mediator, Jill combines her legal experience with her passion to help parties find resolutions to disputes and litigation through mediation. Jill has 25 years of experience practicing as an attorney. She has crafted resolutions to hundreds of disputes ranging from informal complaints to administrative charges and state and federal litigation.
In addition to being a member of the National Association of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN), Jill is also a member of the nationally recognized Association of Attorney Mediators (AAM). For disputes covered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA), Jill is on the panel of AAA-approved employment mediators.
In addition to her mediation practice, Jill is an Adjunct Professor at Marquette Law School, where she teaches law students how to effectively advocate for their clients in a “Mediation Advocacy” workshop. Jill is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee’s School of Continuing Education where she teaches Human Resource professionals on conducting investigations and employment law basics. Jill is a frequent speaker on topics involving mediation, with a particular focus on avoiding and resolving conflict and litigation.
Prior to opening Sopha Mediation LLC, Jill spent 15 years in Legal and Human Resources leadership roles at Fortune 500 Company Harley-Davidson, Inc. As Chief Counsel, Human Resources for Harley-Davidson, Jill provided primary direction and guidance on all HR-related legal issues, developed and implemented a Global HR Compliance program, and led a team of HR professionals responsible for providing day-to-day HR support. Before her work at Harley-Davidson, Jill was an attorney at the law firms Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren S.C. in Madison, WI, and Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP and Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP in Chicago, IL.
- ADA Disability
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Libel & Slander
- Sexual Harassment
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Bachelor of Business Administration degree, with distinction, from the University of Wisconsin Madison Business School
- Juris Doctorate degree, Cum Laude, from the University of Wisconsin Law School
- Wisconsin Special Education Mediation System (WSEMS) Mediator Training (5 days) – September 2017
- Mediating the Litigated Case (6 days); Strauss Institute at the Pepperdine School of Law, Malibu CA – August 2016
- Center for Conflict Resolution’s 40-Hour Performance-Based Mediation Skills Training – April/May 2016
- Society for Human Resource Management – Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) – 2015
Memberships & Affiliations
- National Association of Distinguished Neutrals
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) Employment Mediation Panel
- Association of Attorney Mediators (AAM)
- Wisconsin Bar Association – Labor and Employment Section Treasurer, Vice Chair and Chair (2018-22); Dispute Resolution Section Board Member (2017-20)
- Milwaukee Bar Association – Labor and Employment Section Co-Chair (2017-20)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association (EDWBA)
- Association for Women Lawyers (AWL)
- Wisconsin Association of Mediators (WAM)
- Labor and Employment Relations Association (LERA)
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)