Jeff is President of the Southern California Mediation Association (SCMA) , California's leading professional mediators' association with over 500 members. Jeff recently co-authored SCMA's amicus brief in Rojas v. Superior Court . The brief had a significant impact on the Supreme Court's opinion. Specifically, footnotes 4 and 9 of the decision, drawn from the SCMA brief, prevent the case from having a holding that would negatively affect confidence in the integrity of mediation. Jeff is also a Fellow in the International Academy of Mediators, a select group of approximately 100 commercial mediators worldwide who work to elevate the standards of mediation practice. In the academic world, Jeff is an adjunct professor in Pepperdine University School of Law's Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
- Contract Disputes
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1980 - J.D. Cum Laude
- University of California, Berkeley, 1977 A.B. Economics - Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Memberships & Affiliations
- Southern California Mediation Association - President
- International Academy of Mediators - Fellow
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) - Strategic Planning Committee
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, Section of Intellectual Property Law, TIPS - Past Chair, ADR Committees
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution - Past Member, Governing Council
- CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution Member, Panel of Distinguished Neutrals
- CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution Member, Editorial Board, Alternatives
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Director, LACBA-Dispute Resolution Services, Inc.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Past Member, Board of Trustees
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Past Chair, ADR Section
The standard fee for a full day of mediation with Jeff Kichaven is $4,500. This standard fee applies to cases with up to three parties. The fee for a full day of mediation in cases with four parties or more is $6,000. A full day consists of 10 hours; one hour allocated to preparation time and nine hours (e.g., 9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.) on the day of the mediation. Additional time on the day of the mediation will be billed to the parties at the rate of $500 per hour. Jeff is generally available for additional time on the day of the mediation, if necessary, on full day cases. Fees may be higher for full day cases which take place outside of Los Angeles County.
The fee for a half day of mediation (available only in cases with up to three parties) is $3,000. A half day consists of five hours; one hour allocated to preparation time and four hours (e.g., 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.) on the day of the mediation. Jeff is generally not available for additional time on the day of the mediation on half day cases. Half day cases must take place within Los Angeles County.
On both full day and half day cases, there is generally no charge for routine follow up calls, and there is never a charge for follow up calls or other additional services without the prior consent of the parties.
Fees ($4,500 or $6,000, as appropriate, for a full day case, and $3,000, for a half-day case) must be deposited in advance and may not be refunded if the mediation is cancelled or taken off calendar within 14 days of the scheduled date.
There are never any administrative fees or other similar charges.