Academy Member Inducted 2008
James S. Schenck IV
3141 John Humphries Wynd, Suite 100
PO Box 30933
Raleigh, NC 27612
Fax: (919) 789-9210
- Practice Commenced1995
- # of MEDS (as of 30/5/23)700
- # of ARBS (as of 30/5/23)100
Online / In-Person
Jim Schenck has been in private law practice continuously since 1982, when he graduated with degrees in law and government. The focus of his practice is state and local government construction projects. He has wide and varied experience as an advocate in the prosecution and defense of construction claims.
The majority of his work involves dispute resolution, including negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation. Throughout his career he has also studied and counseled clients on project delivery systems and procurement. He routinely reviews contracts and insurance plans for contractors and owners. At the corporate level, he has assisted corporate and local government clients with business planning, budgeting, licensing and other types of state regulatory compliance.
Involved in many high-stakes mediations, Jim now spends approximately one third of his time working as a neutral.
- Contract Disputes
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Product Liability
- Real Estate
- Juris Doctor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1982
- Master of Arts (Public Policy), Duke University, 1982
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1976
Since graduating from law school, Mr. Schenck has taken a forty-hour mediator training course from the American Arbitration Association to qualify as a North Carolina Superior Court mediator. He has received additional mediator training from the North Carolina Bar Association. His arbitrator training includes the AAA advanced arbitrator training to maintain a place on the AAA Construction Arbitrators Panel.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers, 2012-present.
- Chair, American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law, 2011-2012
- Governing Committee, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry (2006 to 2009)
- Chair, Division 4 Steering Committee, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry (2001-2003)
- Board of Governors, North Carolina Bar Association, 2002-2005
- Long Range Planning Committee, North Carolina Bar Association, 2005 - present
- Chair, North Carolina Bar Association Construction Law Section, 1991-1992
- Editor, Change Order, North Carolina Bar Association Construction Law Section Newsletter, 1987 - 1990
- Contributing Author and Lecturer, North Carolina Bar Foundation Continuing Legal Education
- Chair, Communications Advisory Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association, 1996-1998, 2000-2002
- Director, Greensboro Bar Association, 1993
- Member, Wake County Bar Association
- Member, Wake County Citizens Energy Advisory Commission, 1996-2007
Please call for details.