- Practice Commenced: 2013
- Total Mediations (as of Nov 2019): 200
Former Commissioner Derrick L. Williams is one of the youngest-ever to be appointed to the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission. He was appointed in March 2007, and he served until January 31, 2013, when he decided to return to private practice. He is responsible for spear-heading the effort to make mediation of workers’ compensation available for complex injury by accident cases in South Carolina.
He began his legal career at a mid-size insurance defense firm, where his litigation background included defending workers’ compensation claims for insurance companies, and insurance defense litigation.
Prior to joining the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission, he was an associate at a national law firm based in South Carolina. He practiced in the areas of business litigation, franchise and distribution litigation, and labor and employment.
Derrick currently practices with the firm of Mickle & Bass, where he is a partner with the firm. His practice is devoted to representing injured workers, and he is also a certified mediator.
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Religious Institutions
- Workers' Compensation
- Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2002, where he was a member of the South Carolina Environmental Law Journal.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in English in the Honors Program at the College of Charleston in 1999
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member in the American Bar Association, where he is involved in the T.I.P.S. Workers’ Compensation Section.
- Member of the John Belton O’Neall American Inn of Court.
- Serves on the South Carolina Board of Law Examiners.
- Immediate-Past President of the Riverbanks Zoo Society Board.
- Serves on the College of Charleston Alumni Board (Executive Committee President-Elect)
- Servers on the College of Charleston Honors College Board.