Regularly travels out of state to: Alabama, Florida, PennsylvaniaOther ADR Services: Early Neutral Evaluation, Facilitation & Systems Design, Insurance Umpire, Mini-Trial Judge
- Practice Commenced: 1992
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2021): 75
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jan 2021): 100
Dan Douglass is a member of the Construction Service Group at Stites & Harbison in Atlanta. He has represented commercial general contractors, developers, specialty contractors, suppliers and surety companies in state and federal courts and before administrative and arbitral tribunals throughout the United States. His practice has focused primarily on commercial construction projects, including office, retail, hotel, hospital and parking deck construction projects.
Dan has been mediating and arbitrating cases for over 10 years, primarily in the contruction field. He has served as a mediator or arbitrator in complex construction disputes involving schedule consultants and engineering experts, defective construction, delay and disruption, termination and completion costs, defective design, changes and extra work, concealed conditions, lien and bond claims, grading and foundations, MEP, glass and glazing, steel fabrication and erection, concrete and carpentry, roofing and waterproofing, drywall and finishes.
He regularly arbitrates throughout the USA for the AAA, and has been involved in a multi-year arbitration arising out of a $175 million commercial project in Philadelphia.
- Contract Disputes
- Land Use/Planning
- Real Estate
- Duke University Law School, Durham, North Carolina - J.D., with honors, 1985
- Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina - B.A., 1976
- AAA Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics (ACE005), 2006;
- AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards (ACE001), 2004;
- AAA Arbitrator Update 2001;
- AAA Construction Arbitrator II Training, 2002;
- AAA Construction Industry Arbitrator Training, 1997;
- AAA Construction Mediator Training, 1997, 1994;
- AAA Mediator Training/Practicum
Memberships & Affiliations
Mr. Douglass is active in various professional organizations. He is a member of the American Bar Association and Atlanta Bar Association, as well as the Construction, ADR and Litigation Sections of those organizations. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association's Commercial Arbitrator Panel and Construction Mediator Panel, and the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution panel of neutrals. He is a firm member of AGC, ABC and DBIA. He is also president of the Initiative for Affordable Housing, Inc., board and a member of the Garden Hills Civic Association.
$200 per hour per party ($400 per hour)