- Practice Commenced: 2002
- Total Mediations (as of Oct 2021): 1100
- Total Arbitrations (as of Oct 2021): 55
John Holstein has spent his professional life dealing with some of the most complicated legal problems to confront our courts. That background has resulted in clients seeking him out to find solutions for the most difficult cases. With more than 40 years of courtroom experience as a lawyer and judge at every level of the Missouri state courts, John has a demonstrated ability to take complex legal issues and simplify them using a straight-talk style. In recent years, he has gone beyond the courtroom, handling hundreds of civil and commercial cases by way of alternative dispute resolution (mediation and arbitration).
John has authored more than 300 majority opinions and participated in more than 1,000 appellate opinions while serving as a Judge and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Missouri and as a Judge and Chief Judge of the Missouri Court of Appeals, Southern District. He returned to practice in Springfield, Missouri, in 2002.
John frequently speaks to groups of attorneys interested in continuing education in the field of appellate practice and alternative dispute resolution. Outside the legal profession, John has served on the board of the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association; Rotary Board; the board of the United Way of the Ozarks; and on the fundraising committee of Legal Services of Southwest Missouri. John served 27 years in the United States Army, active and reserve, retiring in 1997 holding the rank of Lt. Col.
- Banking & Finance
- Class Actions
- Family Businesses
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Trusts / Estates
- Wrongful Death
- LL.M., University of Virginia, 1995
- J.D., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1970
- B.A., Southwest Missouri State University, 1967, Political Science
Memberships & Affiliations
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly Award for securing the largest reported settlement in the State of Missouri, 2015
- Selected for the Spurgeon Smithson Award, for significant contributions to the administration of justice, The Missouri Bar Foundation, 2015
- Selected for Distinguished Attorney Award, The Springfield Bar Association, 2014
- Locke & Smith Defender of the Constitution Award, September 2012
- Benjamin Cardozo Award, Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, April 2012
$300 per hour in Southwest Missouri plus travel and study time, unless other arrangements are made. If outside regular service area, rates will be set on a case by case basis.