Academy MemberMap & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, UtahOther ADR Services: Early Neutral Evaluation
- Class Actions
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Wrongful Death
- University of Kansas, B.A.
- University of Southern California, Graduate School
- Washburn University of Topeka, KS, J.D.
- National Judicial College, Numerous Courses Concerning the Conduct of Trials and Evidence
- Oxford University, Post Graduate Courses
- Harvard University, Post Graduate Courses
Memberships & Affiliations
- Former President and Advocate, Northern Nevada Chapter, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Former President and Master, American Inns of Court, Bruce R. Thompson Chapter
- Former President, Northern Nevada Trial Lawyers Association
- Former President, Washoe County Bar Association
- Co-founder of the area Legal Aid Society
- In a Quasi-Judicial capacity he has been:
- Chairman, Medical-Legal Screening Panel for Northern Nevada
- Chairman, Dental-Legal Screening Panel for Northern Nevada
- Chairman, Washoe County Board of Equalization (property tax appeals)
HONORS & AWARDS
- Judge Whitehead received the National Herbert Harley Award of the American Judicature Society for “a significant breakthrough in the battle against court delay and escalating costs to litigants through the formulation of model procedures worthy of replication on a national scale."
- The Northern Nevada Chapter American Board of Trial Advocates honored him as “Nevada’s Settlement Judge.”
- Selected as the Nevada Judge of Distinction for the State of Nevada by the Nevada Trial Lawyers Association.
- Selected “Judge of the Year” by community groups such as the Washoe County Medical Association, Reno Police Protective Association, Boy Scouts of American and local labor unions.
- Received A Proclamation by the Governor of the State of Nevada recognizing his “many innovative changes in the Second Judicial District Court” and commending the judge for his dedication and numerous contributions to the law.
- He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Nevada Trial Lawyers Association.
- AV Rating with Martindale-Hubbell.
- President, Washoe County School Board (member 12 years)
- The Board of Directors for: The YMCA, Community Chest, Boy Scouts, Campfire Girls, Local Aquatic teams
IN BUSINESS: Judge Whitehead is a former developer of a residential subdivision and the former owner/operator of a retail business.
He has been for 25 years the owner-operator of a Nevada cattle and hay ranch where he raises purebred Red Angus cattle and produces hay.
MILITARY EXPERIENCE: Judge Whitehead served as an officer in the U.S. Infantry (Ranger)
PERSONAL INFORMATION: Judge Whitehead has been active in downhill skiing, marathon competition, sailing and National Cutting Horse Competition. He is beginning to compete in the I.D.P.A. He maintains residences on his ranch in the Ruby Mountains of Northeastern Nevada and in Reno, Nevada. He is the father of 5 children and has 18 grandchildren and one great grandson.
Please call office for details.