Academy MemberMap & Directions
Mr. Kurland brings substantial civil litigation experience to bear in serving as a mediator and arbitrator. His 35 years of experience in private practice all relates to civil litigation, including contract and commercial litigation, construction, mediation and arbitration, and professional liability defense. He has extensive jury trial experience, and has tried over 50 cases to verdict in jurisdictions across New York State, in California (Superior Court, LA County), and in Connecticut (U.S. District Court, New Haven).
Mr. Kurland regularly serves as a mediator in a variety of commercial, contract, construction and other matters across New York State, and he also has served as arbitrator in numerous commercial and construction cases, both as sole arbitrator and as chair or member of an arbitration panel. The mediations often have been resolved in a single day, but others have required two or three sessions and other follow-up. The arbitrations have ranged from a day or two as a single arbitrator to more than 30 hearing days in New York City as chair of the panel for a complex construction dispute relating to a historic preservation project.
- Contract Disputes
- Health Care
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1976 (Article Editor, Cornell Law Review)
- Dartmouth College, A.B., cum laude, with highest distinction in history, 1973
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Associate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, New York Bar Foundation
- American Bar Association (Litigation Section; Construction Industry Forum)
- New York State Bar Association (House of Delegates, 2008-11; Committee on Professional Ethics)
- Monroe County Bar Association (President, 2009-10)
- Rochester Inns of Court (Past President and Master)
- Advisory Committee on Civil Practice, N.Y. Office of Court Administration
- American Arbitration Association (Mediator; Commercial and Construction - Arbitrator; Instructor, Commercial Arbitration)
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
Please contact my office for details.