Academy MemberMap & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 1975
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2020): 200
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jan 2020): 450
44 years of experience as a trial and ADR advocate, commercial arbitrator, mediator, law professor and international legal consultant.
Chosen to arbitrate over 400 disputes involving commercial and international contracts, high technology, intellectual property, personal injury, insurance, healthcare, securities, employment and construction law issues.
Named a Fulbright Scholar by the U.S. State Department teaching International Dispute Resolution and Comparative Torts in Brno and Prague, Czech Republic, 2010.
Named Fulbright Specialist in "Peace and International Conflict Resolution, 2013 - Present.
Named U.S. State Department Specialist assisting the Republic of Mauritius in developing a "Culture of ADR." Summer 2015.
Since 1990, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest recognition possible in the legal industry, for his professionalism and ethics.
Rated “10.0 Superb” by Avvo, 2007 - Present.
Named "Washington Super Lawyer," 2019.
Named "Commercial Arbitrator of the Year" Global Awards by Corporate LiveWire, 2017.
Named "Best Contract Disputes Arbitrator" USA Legal Elite Awards by Corporate American Magazine, 2016.
Named "Best Arbitrators & Mediators in Seattle" by Expertise Magazine, 2016.
Chosen "Global Award Winner in International Trade," by Corporate LiveWire in 2015.
Chosen “Seattle Top ADR and Mediation Lawyer,” by Seattle Metro Magazine in 2010.
Rated “Top Ten Lawyers in Washington State,” in the area of “Contracts/Agreements,” by CEO Magazine in 2008.
Rated "Exceptionally Well Qualified" to sit on the Superior Court bench by the county and all county minority bar associations.
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Class Actions
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Entertainment Sector
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Media & Communications
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Non-profit Organizations
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Wrongful Death
- Boalt Hall, University of California at Berkeley, LL.M., International Practice, with High Honors, 1988
- Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1975
- University of California at Santa Cruz, B.A., Psychology, 1971
Memberships & Affiliations
- WSBA ADR Section, Past Chair & International Practice Section Member
- WSBA Board of Bar Examiners, Past Chair
- WSBA Judicial Recommendations Committee Member
- Fulbright Specialist Roster in International ADR
- ABA International Section
- AAA – American Arbitration Association Arbitrator (Commercial, International, Large Complex, Employment, Construction, Mass Claims, and Consumer Arbitration & Mediation Panels), Seattle
- WIPO - World Intellectual Property Organization Arbitrator, Geneva
- FINRA - Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Arbitrator, Los Angeles
- ICDR - International Centre for Dispute Resolution Arbitrator, New York
- ICC - International Chamber of Commerce Arbitrator, Washington DC
- Resolute Systems, LLC
- WSBA - Disciplinary Hearing & Settlement Officer
- U.S. District Court Rule 39.1 Arbitrator & Mediator
- King County - Mandatory Arbitration Rules Arbitrator
- Charles Powell Trial Advocacy Inn of Court, Bencher
$450 Per Hour Includes study, hearing and award preparation. For travel outside the greater Puget Sound area: $50 Per Hour travel time, plus costs of pre-approved travel and lodging, plus reasonable meal expenses. Available for travel worldwide. $500 cancellation fee if evidentiary hearing is cancelled within 3 days prior.