- Practice Commenced: 2010
- Total Mediations (as of Dec 2020): 1000
Judge Boylan served seventeen years as a U.S. Magistrate Judge (named Chief Magistrate Judge in 2010), and more than ten years as a Minnesota State District Court Judge for the Eighth Judicial District. During his time on the bench, he presided over cases of all types.
He has substantial experience mediating and helping parties settle their disputes, including, mediating the 2011 lockout of NFL players and the settlement of related anti-trust lawsuits; settling a publicity rights class action against the NFL; and mediating settlement of data breach consumer class actions brought on behalf of 110 million customers against a big-box retailer following a cyber attack on its computer system.
In addition to his mediation services, Judge Boylan has served by appointment of the Court as a Special Master to oversee settlement efforts in a wide variety of cases. Those cases include, Guidant Defibrillator and Medtronic Defibrillator MDL cases; the Stryker defective hip implant product liability cases; hundreds of individual cases alleging clergy abuse against a local archdiocese; more than 50 separate suits alleging various breaches of underlying contracts involving sales of mortgages in the RFC & RESCAP Liquidating Trust Litigation; and lawsuits against lenders and individual investors that profited from the Tom Petter’s Ponzi scheme.
- Business Dissolution
- Saint Mary's University of Minnesota (B.A., 1971)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 1976)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter
- Academy of Court-Appointed Masters
- American Arbitration Association Roster of Mediators
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Past president-elect, Minnesota District Judges Association
- Former chair, Minnesota State Bar Association Committee of Rules of Professional Conduct
Please call Judge Boylan for details @ 612-387-5655.