ADR Services Include:
William B. Fitzgerald has substantive case experience in the following areas...
Libel & Slander|
BIOGRAPHICAL:Attorney Fitzgerald practices exclusively as an arbitrator and mediator. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association Large Complex Case Panel of Arbitrators and of the CPR International Institute for Dispute Resolution's California Regional Panel of Arbitrators.
He has worked in alternate dispute resolution for many years, as both an advocate and as a neutral. He was a member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the American Arbitration Association in Connecticut from 1970 to 1985. By appointment of the Chief Justice of the Connecticut Supreme Court, he served as an Attorney Trial Referee in the Connecticut Superior Court from 1982 to 1985, adjudicating bench trials in the highest trial court of that state and acting as a court settlement officer. After relocating his practice to Los Angeles in 1985, he served on the ADR panel of the Los Angeles Superior Court from 1994 to 2006 as both an arbitrator and a mediator.
- Yale University B.A., cum laude 1958
- Harvard Law School J.D. 1961
- College d'Europe (Belgium), Certificat 1962
American Arbitration Association:
- ACE programs, Los Angeles, 2005;
Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics; Drafting Arbitration Awards: Arbitrator Ethics and Disclosure;
- Commercial Arbitrator II Training, Los Angeles, 2004;
Neutrals Conference and Arbitrator Update, San Antonio, 2004;
Symposium on B2B Disputes, Los Angeles, 2003;
Arbitrator II, Advanced Case Management Issues, Los Angeles, 2004;
Arbitrator I Training, San Diego, 2003;
American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section:
- Annual Conference programs; Atlanta, 2006, Los Angeles, 2005, New York, 2004;
- First Annual Arbitration Institute, San Francisco, 2004;
College of Commercial Arbitrators:
Annual Conference ADR programs, Chicago, 2006; Seattle, 2005.
CPR International Institute for Dispute Resolution:
Annual Conference, New York, 2005;
Pepperdine University Law School:
Masters Forum, 2003; Mediating the Litigated Case, 2004;
Southern California Mediation Association:
Annual Conference programs, 2004 - 2007;
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (Dispute Resolution Committee);
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators;
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (President Elect and Board member, Dispute Resolution Section);
- American Bar Association (Dispute Resolution and Litigaton Sections);
- State Bar of California (ADR, Business Law and Litigation Sections);
- American Board of Trial Advocates;
- California Dispute Resolution Council;
- Connecticut Bar Association (ADR Section);
- Southern California Mediation Association.
RatesArbitration and mediation services are billed at the rate of $600 per hour, including study time, e.g. reviewing briefs and deliberating. When services are provided directly rather than through a third party provider organization, an engagement letter details compensation arrangements, including advance payment of deposits for fees.
Time for ground travel outside Los Angeles is charged after the first hour. Air travel, lodging, and meal expenses for non-local proceedings are billed.
William B. Fitzgerald is a member of our CA chapter, California Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, California's premier roster of preeminent mediators and arbitrators. The CADN profile includes more specific local information, such as counties and regions served, and can be visited directly at www.californianeutrals.org/william-fitzgerald