ADR Services Include:
Mediation; Arbitration; Med-Arb; Mini-Trial Judge; Special Master
John J. Specia Jr. has substantive case experience in the following areas...
JOHN J. SPECIA,
JR. – Will be
returning to the law firm of Plunkett & Griesenbeck, Inc. to continue his
practice of Mediation, Arbitration and Private Judging as of July 1, 2016.
by Governor Rick Perry in 2012 as Commissioner of the Texas Department of
Family and Protective Services. Specia
spearheaded an overhaul of Child Protective services, developed system
enhancements and efficiencies and significant growth of the child abuse and
neglect prevention and early intervention program. Under his leadership, Texas became a national
leader in child welfare transformation efforts and research in to child abuse
and neglect fatalities.
Judge 225th District Court (Ret),
San Antonio Bexar County, Texas. Judge
John Specia retired on December 31, 2006, having served since May of 1988. He is currently a Senior District Judge
subject to as assignment and a partner in the law firm of Plunkett &
Gibson, Inc. His practice is limited to
Mediation, Arbitration and Private Judging.
John Specia’s life-long dedication to public services includes work in
all areas of civil and family, juvenile programs, with a special commitment to
children and the prevention of child abuse.
Specia has been assigned to a Multi-District Litigation Pre-Trial Judge of the Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Humberto
Judge of the 225th District Court, he presided over all types of
cases (i.e., contract disputes, construction disputes, medical and legal
malpractice, personal injury, business litigation) and family law cases (i.e.,
divorces, custody, visitation, adoptions).
Specia has extensive experience in all aspects of civil trial practice. Due to the unique Bexar County rotating
docket system, on a daily basis he has presided over all types of pre-trial
matter, summary judgments hearings, non-jury trials and jury trials. These include medical malpractice cases,
personal injury cases, and complex business litigation.
- St. Mary's University of Law, Juris Doctor, San Antonio, Texas - 1975
- University of Texas at Austin, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Austin, Texas1972
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chair - Texas Supreme Court Task Force on Foster Care
- Chair - Texas Supreme Court Task Force on Child-Protection Case Management and Reporting
- Board Member - National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges (2000-2006)
- Board of Directors - Central Catholic Marianist High School
- Past Member, Board of Directors - Communities in Schools
- Past Member - Children's Advocates of San Antonio (CASA), Advisory Board
- Past Member - Sexual Assault Resource Center, Advisory Board
- Past President - Catholic Family and Children's Services, San Antonio Archdiocese
RatesPlease call our office for details - (210) 734-7092
John J. Specia Jr. is a member of our TX chapter, The Texas Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, the state's premier roster of attorney mediators and arbitrators. The TADN profile includes more specific local information, such as counties and regions served, and can be visited directly at www.texasneutrals.org/john-specia