ADR Services Include:
Clarence M. Small Jr. has substantive case experience in the following areas...
Clarence Small has 50 years of legal experience, and has spent much of his time mediating and arbitrating a wide variety of civil and commercial cases (including business disputes,
commercial transactions, bank failures, catastrophic personal injury, product
liability, land use disputes, and insurance fraud and bad faith cases). After graduating law school in 1961, he joined the firm of Rives
& Peterson. Mr. Small is now
senior partner with Christian & Small LLP, the successor to Rives &
Mr. Small was President of the Alabama
State Bar in 1992 and 1993. While President of the State Bar, he participated in the establishment of Alabama's Alternative Dispute Resolution Center. He was a member of
the House of Delegates of the American Bar Association from 1983 to 1990. He was appointed by the Supreme Court of
Alabama to serve on its Appellate Rules Committee and the committee which
developed the Uniform Rules of Evidence now used in the trial courts throughout
the State of Alabama.
Over the last several years Mr. Small has been named in The
Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers in the Alternative Dispute Resolution category.
- Auburn University, 1956, B.S., Business Administration
- University of Alabama School of Law, 1961, LL.B.
(Phi Delta Phi; Omicron Delta Kappa (honorary);
Farrah Order of Jurisprudence; Alabama Law Review, Editorial Board)
Memberships & Affiliations
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Alabama State Bar, President, 1992
- Birmingham Bar Association, President, 1979
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates, 1983-1990
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama Appellate Rules Committee
- Jefferson County Judicial Commission
- Tort Reform Summit